Tuesday, May 22, 2012

Day 2: Community Day


Day 2: Community Day

We woke up bright and early on Sunday, got ready and went down for our first Guatemalan meal. We had black beans, tortillas, scrambled eggs, and plantations. Suprisingly good stuff J



We boarded our bus and drove for 1.5 hours from Guatemala City up a windy mountain way to the village of Cruz Blanca. It was a site-seeing adventure… we drove through other villages. We saw people with baskets on their heads and babies on their backs… we saw dogs just roaming the streets. There were chickens and ducks wandering around. We drove past houses, which consisted of cinderblocks, wood/bamboo planks, and tin sheets. A lot of barbed wire and ropes.



When we drove up the path to the Learning Center I started to get nervous. I wasn’t sure what to expect but I knew this was all God. How else would I get in the middle of nowhere unless He put me there?



The bus pulled up in front of the Learning Center and the kids were lined up waiting for us. Some jumped on the bus before it completely stopped, they were so excited to see us. We got some sporting equipment and headed down to the field. It was a walk through the village and down a hill. I noticed a little boy shyly smiling at me as we went and next thing I know, he was holding my hand. What a sweetie.









When we got down to the field… the guys got the soccer goals and balls out. The ladies got out the nail polish and started their manicures. I grabbed some bubbles and got swarmed by kids. We took turns blowing and popping bubbles. There were so many giggles. I had no idea what they were saying and they didn’t know what I was saying, but it didn’t matter. We were just smiling and laughing together. They are snuggly kids… lots of hugs were shared.












This time allowed for us to meet the village… play with them away from their homes, laugh together. I am thankful for this play day before we dove in to planting gardens because it allowed us to meet these people in a relaxed setting. It was a lot of fun J

No comments: