Monday, October 27, 2008

Bonding over Basketball

Wednesday night was Ty’s first basketball practice. Because Bryan bowls on Thursdays when her games are she begged him to take her to practice to watch her and being that it was the first one, I wanted to go along too. I was a little nervous for a number of reasons, one being that she didn’t know anyone on the team (goes to FW Elementary but lives in North Ogden) and the second being that she has never played basketball before; although has been begging me for weeks to sign her up. Once we got there, my little social butterfly ran up to some girls and started talking and I found out that half the team has played before the other half hasn’t. My fears were relieved.

I thought she would have fun playing… but I didn’t realize that she would be as good as she was. She scored 5/6 free throws. Her dribbling needed some help, but with some practice she would be ok. All through practice she was laughing and having a good time. She even told Bryan that the next day she was going to go home from school and practice her dribbling in the drive way and sure enough she has, every day since.

Her first game was Saturday morning at 9am. She was so excited for her it she was asking to leave the house every 5 minutes. Mind you, it was 7am when we woke up, it made for a long morning. We got to the gym and my mom and friend Blake met us there to cheer her on. She started the game and it was almost the first quarter before our team scored and she made the first basket!! There was a lot of hooting and hollering from our section.

2nd quarter she played again and scored another basket. She sat out the 3rd qtr and then was back in for the 4th. Her team won 10-6. She had a great time running up and down the court. She was all smiles and just loved it.

Later that day we went to the mall to get Bryan some shoes and he said he wanted to go down to Sports Authority. We had some time to kill so I didn’t think a lot about it. He went right to the basketball section and began his quest to find Ty the perfect “girly” basketball. He ended up getting her a pink and white polka dot ball. She was so excited and the minute we got home went out to practice.


Last night as I was getting ready for my weekly 1 hr of peace and quiet while I watch True Blood, Bryan took the kids out to the drive way to play. I kept watching them out the bedroom window and I started laughing. Somehow they talked him into becoming a human basketball hoop. He is 6’3 and with his arms in the shape of a basket he worked out well. Later I found out that Drew went to shoot and hit him in the face and that was the end of practicing but it was the cutest thing. Drew told me this morning "Dont worry Momma, he isnt mad at me. It was an accident."

They have already fallen in love with Bryan, but to watch the interaction he has with them; it made my heart feel good.

No comments: