Tuesday, June 21, 2011

Meet Roxy

For a while now we have talked about getting a 2nd dog... another shihtzu, a Boston Terrier, or even a Bull Dog if we could find one that we wouldnt have to take a 2nd mortgage on the house for.

Last Thursday one of our service projects at church was to go to the animal shelter. We helped clean, walk the dogs, play with the cats. Ty fell in love with a puppy in the process... and it was a puppy that would turn into a big dog, so I knew it wouldnt work for us so we went home and started looking for other dogs that would work.

I checked all the shelter and rescue sites and didnt see anything right away so I promised her I'd keep checking. Friday night as I was getting ready for bed, I went to KSL.com and looked through the classifieds to see if there were any ShihTzus for sale near us. Wasnt my ideal option b/c I didnt want to pay that much and I'd rather save a dog than get one from a breeder.

That's when I saw an ad that said something along the lines of "Dont buy a dog, save a dog" and there was a link for CAWS (http://www.caws.org/) and there was a little ShihTzu dog named Pixie listed. She was going to be in SLC at the PetsMart for adoption the next day.

Bryan and I talked about it and decided to go down there with our current dog, Wrigley, and see how it goes. We were early so we filled out the paperwork ahead of time and when she got there with her foster mom, it was like the dogs knew each other. They got along perfectly. They are about the same size, have the same personality, etc.

Pixie (now named Roxy) is 1-2 yrs old, has already had puppies, was a matted mess when she came out of the shelter into this foster home so they had to get her shaved down to the skin to make her more comfortable. She is housetrained and crate trained already. She's been fixed, up to date on her shots, and is microchipped. Poor girl had a rough life... and now she is our little princess. The kids are going crazy over her and she's won over Bryan's heart already too, sleeping (and snoring!!) on his chest :)

Roxy (black) and Wrigley (grey/white)
Welcome to our family Roxy!

No comments: