Tuesday, May 5, 2009

PSS: Owie!

Amy asked "Tell us about your worst injury."

I have been very accident prone... but I think my worst injury was in 1998 playing AOL softball on 4th St. I was used to playing softball, I had played since I was 7, and had been on all star teams, but never had I played coed before.

I was on 1st base and my friend, Carlos, hit behind me. He is normally a powerhouse and can easily hit the ball over the fence. Well... this time he didn't so it meant I had to run. For those of you who know me, I hate to run. I am a klutz. As I rounded 3rd base everyone's yelling "get down, get down!" so I knew I had to slide.

I went to slide into home and the batter's box was kinda dug out from everyone kicking at it. When I went to slide, my right foot hit the plate at a weird angle and you heard "SNAP!". (In fact, someone was videoing it and you can hear it in the video.)

I don't remember a whole lot after that... other than being tired... I actually curled up in a ball on home plate.I went into shock. I remember my ex husband yelling at the umpire for not being able to drive his truck on the field to get me... so Nate, and my friends, Tyler and Carlos, carried me to the truck.

It was a miserable ride to the hospital and looking back at it now, it would have been better to call an ambulance. Every bump was excruciating. When the ER got me checked in, they gave me morphine for the pain. Bad idea, within minutes we found out I am allergic to morphine. Yikes!

I ended up breaking my ankle and my leg.I had to have emergency surgery to have plates and screws put it back together. Loads of fun. It took a few years for AOL to allow for another softball team... and because I am glutton for punishment, I was one of the first to sign up then too... when you love it, you love it!

1 comment:

Monica said...

That made me cringe just reading it. Way to get back on the horse though.