Thursday, August 26, 2010

Love ROCKing the Community.

Let us think of ways to motivate one another to acts of love and good works.
~ Hebrews 10:24, NLT

All summer long, my church did a thing called R.O.C.K’ed… Random Outbreaks of Community Kindness. We would go out in the community and give out water bottles on a hot day, wash windshield while people pumped gas, gave out quarters at the laundry mat, go to the park and give out otter pops, just a bunch of random things that make a difference… no strings attached.

Our goal isn’t to convert the state of Utah… our goal is to show the love of Christ through our actions. Having people see the good things we are doing and encourage them to do good in return. We can witness to a lot of people unintentionally that way and if you want to strike up a conversation about Jesus along the way, we are always willing to talk.

It’s funny b/c I try to involve my kids in as much community service as I can as I believe they will be better people for it and they are now to the point that they are upset if they hear I went and did something without them… so when I took a day off of work during our week long home missions trip earlier this month, they had a fit b/c I hadn’t planned on bringing them with me. When I saw how much they wanted to come, I changed my mind and brought them along for the day. We did haircuts, back to school supplies, and a grocery delivery. When Pastor Matt asked Drew how he was doing, he told him “I like doing this stuff… its better than going to Worship”. LOL!! Being that P-Matt has 4 little boys of his own, he understood what Drew meant :)

I believe that it doesn’t take good acts to get you to heaven, however doing good for your community and those around you just makes you feel better about your life and your circumstances.

No comments: