Thursday, April 9, 2009

PSS: Life Situations

I am trying to think of a time in my youth that has shaped who I am today, as that was the PSS question for the week, but I can’t think of one specific time but a couple of things have stood out as I have thought about this question...

•I remember when I was little kids I went to school with made fun of my great-aunt’s hairdo. They would wear their hair in big beehives and I was so used to it, I didn’t think anything of it, but I remember being so hurt that people would say rude things about people b/c of how they looked. I think that has made me remember to not judge people by appearance.

•I remember when my grandpa got Alzheimer’s and my mom was his primary caregiver and had to make the decision to put him in an assisted living home for his own safety. It was hard to have him not remember us, but I was so close to him that I wouldn’t change anything b/c I cherish the memories that I remember.

•When my brother was going through his drug problems, I would get so angry at him and so scared for his choices but my mom always stayed strong and supportive. It was such a hard, terrible thing that my family went through but her love for him never waivered. I have learned so much from my mom and I hope that I can be half as good of a parent as she has been to us.

I think I learned a lot from my childhood and I am a better person for the experiences I had. I feel I am a loving, accepting, nonjudgmental person b/c of what I have dealt with. I am no means perfect, but feel that I am able to raise my children better based off what I have gone through.

No comments: