Wednesday, February 16, 2011

The Kind of People Jesus Would Hang Out With

Someone was asking me about the congregation at my church and I mentioned we have all sorts of people who come, it doesn’t matter who you are or what you do. I explained we have homeless people, drug addicts, tattooed/guagued ear people, etc. That there is no dress code or membership roles. It’s all about their love of Jesus and not what they look like or the bumps they’ve had in their road. The words out of her mouth were “you let your kids be around them?”.

Really?!?

Did I not just tell you that it doesn’t matter who you are or what you’ve done, you are welcome at my church? I am so tired of close minded people. I am so tired of people not getting a chance based on their looks or where they sleep. I am so tired of people thinking they are holier than someone else. That’s not how this works… it says to love your brother. Not love your brother if he lives in a house, has a job, and has taken a shower recently.

Lord… use me to educate those who don’t get it. Give me the words and the actions to show your endless love for your people. Help me to keep my mind open and to love those around me, regardless of who they are. I say these things in your name, amen.

We aren’t perfect people… yet we weren’t made to be. God knows us. He knows who we are and what we do and he loves us despite of that. He sent His son to die for our sins… not because we are perfect and deserve it, but b/c we aren’t perfect, because we’d never be saved without Him.

Someone once told me that they believe the people at my church are the ones that Jesus would hang out with. Yeah, I think so too.

1 comment:

jennykate77 said...

Awesome. I love this post.

I feel the same way! We're all just sinners saved by grace!