Thursday, March 10, 2011

From a Daughter's Perspective...

We are working on our website and my husband asked me to write a letter on the Survivors/Caregivers Page from my perspective of my mom's breast cancer journey. Once I got the tears out of my eyes enough to see what I was typing, this is what I came up with...

From a daughter’s perspective…

What do you do when the rock of your family, the calming influence all of us turn to, the glue that holds us together, tells us she has cancer?

I’ve been through that… twice now. It’s scary. You go through a lot of emotions. You be there for them, you talk honestly and openly with each other. You spend a lot of time together. You try to focus on the positive and pray to overcome the negative. You take lots of pictures, make a scrapbook of their journey. You find everything you can with a pink ribbon and give it to them. Find inspirational messages to send in email. You send “I Love You” texts. You take walks together. You get pedicures together. You just love on each other.

I thank God every day for the closeness my mom and I have. She is an amazing women and has kept such a positive attitude during her journey with breast cancer. I truly believe that everyone is given things in their life for a reason and my mom is such an example of that. She took this negative time in her life and now speaks to other women on the benefits of early detection, she gives words of encouragement to women going through surgery and chemo, she is just an example of love.

For those of you going through this, here is a bible verse that helped get me though. I shared this with my mom along the way as well. I hope it brings you the peace it brought me.

Be strong and courageous; do not be frightened or dismayed, for the Lord your God is with you wherever you go. (Joshua 1:9)

God Bless and much love,
Lisa Williams

2 comments:

Tina said...

Thank you for posting this and thank Bryan for asking you to write this! I needed to read it. Tomorrow marks 17 years since breast cancer took my moms life. I struggle everyday and just reading others experiences helps me. So thank you!

Sami said...

That was beautiful! I pray every day that I don't have to walk in those same shoes, but if I do, I hope I can have the same courage that you and your mom have had.
Bless you!