Tuesday, August 26, 2008

Halfway

Halfway.

Mom is at her halfway mark. 18 weeks of chemo is a very long time… and I am so happy to say she is halfway through it. Thursdays are her days. One Thursday is 3 medicines, the next is 1, then the next there is not any chemo medicines- just a blood check and her bone marrow stimulating shots. This last weekend was rough for her. She isn’t throwing up, thanks to the medication she was approved for, but she was very nauseous and tired. She said her muscles feel very weak. She was sleeping like 12 hrs throughout the day on Sat/Sun and only worked a couple of hours yesterday before she came home.

I spoke with her on Sunday night and she didn’t sound like her self. You could tell she was struggling; she got choked up during our call which is so unlike her. That of course upset me, although I kept it together until we were off the phone… then I started bawling. My daughter walked in then (and she fully understands what is going on) and she said “Mom, you wish it was you instead of Nan, huh?” Wow… she couldn’t have said it any better. Then she said, “If it were you, I wish it were me.”

My mom, my daughter, and I are very close. We have an amazing bond but until that moment I didn’t know how strong it was. I would give anything to take my mom’s cancer away and not have her go through what she is going through and if I could trade her places, I would do it in a heartbeat. To have my daughter, say the same about me… I am very blessed.

2 comments:

Kim said...

Lisa, I am sorry your mom and family are going through this.. again. I cant imagine how hard this must be.
My mom finished her treatment about 4 years ago and it seams the aftermath was worst than the cancer. I couldnt bear the thought of going through it a second time.
Your mom sounds amazing.

Anonymous said...

The only thing I can say...that blog made me cry! How amazing how powerful it was to read the relationship of you, mom and Ty.