Friday, August 15, 2008

Strides Against Breast Cancer



As I mentioned earlier, my mom went to the Strides Against Breast Cancer kick off. This is an event that the American Cancer Society does each October in SLC at Liberty Park. When she told me she was going to the U of U for the kick off, she failed to mention she was a key note speaker!!

She sat at the head table with Abby from Kosy (I think) radio station and Hope from Fox13. This is the 3rd year she has done this and St Mark's is a big sponsor and being a breast cancer survivor they have her go to all these functions.

I guess one thing I should mention is she doesn't wear a wig... or a scarf... or a hat. She doesn't let the looks she gets from others affect her... she is proud of her balding head b/c it means the chemo is working. It means she is surviving this terrible disease.

The people from ACS didnt realize that her cancer came back so when she showed up in all her peach-fuzz glory, they were a little taken back... "MaryJoe, is that you?" and then enveloped her into their arms.

She got up on stage and told her story, told how St Mark's is a support and the facilities and
support they can give, and then asked others to form teams for this walk and raise some money. She got a standing ovation when she was done. She said she was overwhelmed by the response.
I could tell she was proud and I hope that she made a difference in someone life.

Something to think about... 1 out of every 8 women in the US will be diagnosed with breast cancer. That is like 1 of the 8 girls I just went to Moab with... or one of the ladies on my in my office. Thinking of it that way really hits home. Its not just a statistic, it makes it life like....

No comments: