Tuesday, December 9, 2008

Damn Saliva Gland...




Three years ago this past October, my daughter got a strange lump on the side of her neck, under her jaw. I took her to the doctor who sent us to an ENT who sent us for testing (CT, MRI, blood work etc) and ended up doing a lymph node biopsy. It ended up not being Hodgkin’s Lymphoma as they thought it may have been but an infection in her salvia gland.

They treated her with antibiotics… and it didn’t come back for about 6 months… then again in 3 months… then monthly. There was even a time that she was on antibiotics 2x in a month for the same thing. It started out on her right side and now both sides are affected. She has gone down to Primary Children’s for a Sialogram twice.

I asked about removing the gland and was told there runs a chance of nerve damage and facial paralysis, as well as a big scar so he didn’t want to do.

I even took her to a chiropractor for a while who said her axis was off line so he adjusted her and she was good for about 9 months then it started again. Since then, that chiro is no longer on my insurance so we went to another one and it didn’t work this time… she swelled right up again within 3 wks.

I am frustrated beyond belief. Her poor little face swells up, sometimes so bad that it squishes up her eye. She can’t open her mouth to chew anything so she is pretty much on a liquid diet. Hot compresses and sour candy don’t help anymore.

During our last ENT appointment he said that we have done everything we can and our next option would be to remove the gland. There is risk involved as I mentioned before so I told him I wanted to think about it and he said to call him back in 3 months.

Well, yesterday she called me from school and said her lump is back and she has yucky stuff in her mouth and she thinks she is gonna throw up. I went to pick her up and filled her prescription. I then called the Dr saying I want to have the surgery scheduled. They called me back today and said he wants to see her again on Thursday to discuss options.

Hell, I thought we are out of options!! I have prepared myself for her to go through this surgery. I just want it done with it. I am tired of her being in pain all the time, I am tired of being sad of listening to her whimper when there is nothing more I can do to help her, I am tired of her being on antibiotics so much that we are so close to only having IV ones work… all I want to do is cry. I don’t like seeing my baby in pain like this.

3 comments:

A said...

I hope that whatever you decide, it goes well. I can totally sympathize with how hard it is seeing your kids in pain. She is tough though. This has been an up and down year for you...I hope next year evens out. Keep us updated.

Mary said...

Poor Ty!!! That kills me that she has to deal with that!

Meg said...

LISA - how are you? It's Megan Hoskins. SO I found your blog and am shocked to hear about your daughters condition, because i have the SAME thing! We should really talk. Mine isn't as extensive as hers, but it is similar and none of the doctors really know what to do. I haven't finished reading your post because I was so shocked. Mine came about years ago randomly. They wont take it out because of facial paralysis. However, I havre never been told it is a glad thing, I was told lymphnod, or is that the same thing. I have had it drained to check for cancer but it gets big occasionally and is painful.