Sunday, January 18, 2009

Mammogram #1 for 2009

I had my mammogram appointment on Friday... and it was entertaining to say the least.

First off, they couldn't find my orders from my doctor. The Dr's office hasn't updated their records to reflect Williams instead of Erwin... so I never know what name I need to go by when I go places. After we figured out that I was going to be Lisa Erwin that day, they showed me to the changing room. She said undress from the waist up, put on this cape, and sit in the women's only waiting room that is used for all of radiology.

This little cape thing was terrible. I think it was made for a little person b/c it didn't even go long enough to touch the top of my pants. There were no arm holes or anything, just one little button to keep it all together. I am sure I was hanging out the sides the whole time.

I take a seat in the waiting room in the chair closest to the door. That was a mistake. Everything the door opened, my cape went flying. Happened twice before I moved to another seat... although the 2nd time was an ex boyfriend's new girlfriend who came through the door. I don't think she remembers who I am, so that cut down some of the awkwardness of me sitting there in my nakedness. Just an odd place to run into people like that. LOL!

People seem to be chatty when waiting to get their boobs squashed and it's funny to see how people react to me being there for the reasons I am. The lady that was talking to me in the waiting room had a "you poor girl... you have to go through all this so young" attitude. Another lady in the waiting room had a " good for you for being proactive" attitude. Then there was the mammogram tech. She had a terrible attitude. She questioned everything I told her. She seemed upset that the doctors would have me going in for mammograms when she didn't feel I would benefit from them due to my dense breasts. She thought I shouldn't have had lumps removed when I was 19 b/c everyone knows that a 19 year old just has extra tissue. It was an odd experience... but I know everyone doesn't agree with the treatment plan that my doctors and I have decided on... so I just smile and say "this is what my doctor feels we need to do, so I appreciate you just taking care of it". (and if I ever get called to do a survey on my experience, they are gonna get an earful)

Mammograms aren't so terrible. I can think of better things to do with my time than to stand with my boobs in vice, but you do what you gotta do and you get over it. Remind anyone you know that is over 40 they need to get theirs done yearly... and anyone who has a family history to talk to their doctors... early detection is key!!

No comments: