Monday, September 15, 2008

My Dr Appt Update

I was so nervous about my doctor appointment on Friday but the moment I met the doctor my anxiety went away. She was so personable and nice. She actually spent over 1.5 hrs with me. We talked about my medical history and family history. I had my mom go to the appointment with us… and it was a good thing I did b/c she gave a very complete family history. There is a lot more cancer in our family than I was aware of. The Dr did an exam and then we went over options. She said that she is glad that my PCP prepared me for the possibility of surgery b/c its something I am going to need to keep in the back of my mind, but for now she doesn’t feel it’s necessary.

She wants me to read up on the side effects of some medicine, go to a genetic counselor, and visit her every 6 months for a clinical breast exam and MRI. She is very up to date on her stuff and said to not be surprised if I get a random call from her b/c something new is out that she wants to make me aware of. She is going to call my radiologist to get some clarification on her notes, as some things were oddly worded but doesn’t think I have concern right now. She said that I am higher risk that most, but shouldn’t think of a mastectomy for at least 5 yrs and by then something new maybe out

So anyhow, that’s the update. I feel really good about my appointment. She said that I need to forget all this for the next 3 wks and focus on getting married on Saturday and then give her a call to set up the other appointments.

1 comment:

A said...

Lisa,

I am glad that it went well and for now you do not have to do anything drastic. Have fun at your wedding!

Amy