Thursday, November 20, 2008

Breast Cancer Update 11/20/08

Couple of updates:
Found on last night that mom's going to do radiation. She goes in next Wednesday to find out when her port-a-cath will be removed (small surgery). Her blood work is looking better but once it evens out she will start radiation.

What she explained to me is that when they were removing the tumor there is a chance that cancer cells trailed behind, that often they get into the incision site. I asked her what is the point of chemo if they were gonna have to blast her scar with a lazer anyhow. She said she asked the same question to the dr, but was told its just how they do it.

So even though she is all positive about it all... just happy to be done with the chemo, Im still bummed. When she told me, I burst into tears. I just want this all to be done. She is going to have 30 radiation treatments, will find out next week when they will start.

I went to Huntsman Cancer Institute today to meet with a genetic counselor. She reviewed my case with a group there and they determined that I am high risk for breast cancer. Between 35-50% life time risk. (average girl with no family history is 12%) Although my risk increases with age, she is happy that I am being so proactive. We determined that there is a mutuation in my family, however is one they wont be able to detect or feel its worth searching for right now as it wont make an immediate difference. I am going to have appointments for clinical breast exams, MRI's, or Mammograms every 3 months as well as research the drug Tamoxifen. She feels I would benefit from being on it for 5 yrs as it will cut my risk by 50% as well as lessen the density of my breasts which will make feeling for lumps and mammograms easier. She said to keep a prophylatic mastectomy in the back of my head but not something I will need to think about until I am atleast 35-40.

I feel good about my appointment. I now feel like I have done everything in my power and am leaving the rest to God. What happens will be part of His plan and nothing I can change. Thanks again for all the prayers... and keep them coming!

No comments: