Monday, October 13, 2008

Strides Against Breast Cancer 2008




This is the 3rd year that the American Cancer Society has held this walk in Salt Lake City. It’s 3 laps around Liberty Park, which equates to 4.3 miles. Saturday was COLD. It was get your long underwear, socks, and beanies out cold; but breast cancer doesn’t care the weather… its still going to affect 1 in 8 women regardless of rain or snow. Thankfully for us, the rain didn’t start until the walk was done and we were headed back to the car.

St Mark’s Hospital is a flag ship sponsor to this event and my mom is their spokesperson so before the walk started she got up on stage and spoke to everyone about the importance of getting screenings done and how important support from family and friends helps those battling this disease. Her hospital honored her with these shirts:


That’s definitely one thing mom has is support. Me and my family of 5 was there, my sister, my friends (Raquel Blake Jenn Alan and their kids), my other sister and her boyfriend, my cousins with families, my aunt, my dad, my brother…. We had a big group and it was so worth it.


I think the news said they had over 3000 people attend and over $50,000 was raised. My daughter asked me “Mom, how long have you been doing this? How long are they going to keep doing this?” so I told her I have done it since the start and I will continue to do it until there isn’t a need anymore. Hopefully soon there will be a cure and I am going to keep walking until there is one.

No comments: