Monday, March 2, 2009

PSS: Speak up or Shut up?

PSS question: "If you had a good friend who was in a bad relationship, would you say something or keep your mouth shut? Why did you choose what you did?"

I have a very good friend who was in a relationship for years that was physically abusive, when she got done with that only a few months went by before she got into another relationship and it headed in that direction as well. The physical side has ended (as far as I know), but the emotional and verbal is still there. There is constant fighting, name calling, etc. There as been talk of cheating on his part and I just feel it’s a bad deal all around.

She is an amazing person… has two kids that are her world… would drop anything to help anyone and it kills me to see her being walked over time and time again. She has been engaged to her boyfriend for over 2 yrs b/c she cannot commit to marriage, although they live together. She deserves better than what she has but she is scared to be alone. She doesn’t think someone else would want her having 2 kids by 2 different dads and I know that being in this relationship is really wearing on her. She isn’t as happy as she used to be and it makes me sad. She deserves better than this.

I’ve spoken my peace time and time again… and am now to the point that I keep my mouth shut and just stick by her regardless of what she does b/c I feel that’s what a good friend does. She knows my feelings on it all… and my offers to help her… but ultimately the decision has to come from her when she feels the time is right, right?

3 comments:

Meg said...

I have a friend who is engaged to her boyfriend who treats her like crap. I was in a relationship that was very similar so I can't stand being around him. He talks down to her and is so horrible to her in public. My friends and I all feel that we can't say anything because he would tell her to not be friends with us anymore. It is sad. But I don't think there is anythign we could do. Maybe that is being a bad friend. I don't know.

Mary said...

Comming from a relationship that was horrible I would totally speak up and tell them they deserve better and there is someone out there who won't treat them like this. It's sad it makes me realize how good of friends I had that were there for me during this time and never gave up on me.

Unknown said...

I think you are doing all you can, just don't give up on her...it sounds like she needs the good friend that you are!