Monday, March 2, 2009

Post-Op Problems Part 2

I picked Ty up from school on Friday and took her back downt o Primary Children's. They told me if her neck didn't feel flat like my own, then I need to bring her in. I had Drew with me this time too so I made sure his DS was charged so he would stay occupied- for a while I forgot he was there, he was so quiet! Such a good boy!

When we got there, the resident said that they agreed driving down daily to have it aspirated was too much so they were going to put in a drain. They got her up on the table, numbed her up, made an incision under her ear, and put in a tube. He stitched the tubing to her skin, packed guaze around it and then wrapped the vial to her arm with co-ban. She was hoping she wouldnt have to wear the "jaw-bra" anymore, but no such luck.

They told me I would need to change that vial if it got too full, if there was stuff in the tubing that didnt make it to the vial b/c of loss of suction, or daily if I didnt have to for the other two reasons.

Everything was great Friday and Saturday, but Sunday morning I unwrapped her head and realized she had alot of drainage on her guaze pads. It looks like the tube pulled out a bit. I tried to push it in and put some tape on it and wrapped her head back up. I then changed the vial and it made a hissing noise.

We went to church and nothing was in the vial... so I packed up all her stuff and took it to my mom's for her to look at it. I showed her where the tube goes into her neck and she said that it looks like it did pull out some. I changed the vial and again it hissed and she confirmed there was a leak. She said to just let it be for a while and when we checked it again, the only drainage was from her incision site.

The resident we had been dealing with had moved on to the U, so the new guy (Dr MacCool) is who I talked to. I had to explain everything to him that we've been through and he said as long as there is drainage somewhere, she'd be ok. You cant measure it as well; however as long as its not pooling under her ear again we dont need to go back until tomorrow. One less trip to SLC sounds good to me.

She had alot of drainage this morning when I got her ready for school, nothing in the tube though. I doubled up on the gauze pads, tighted up her head wrap, wrapped her arm so that you cant see any of the vial, helped her put a sweatshirt on, she put on her cute new hat and she went off to school. Hopefully all goes well.... Cross your fingers!

No comments: